Sydney K. Brannoch, Ph.D.
2019 Ph.D., Biology, Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) and the Cleveland Museum of Natural History (CMNH)
Advisor: Gavin J. Svenson, Ph.D.
2012 BA, Philosophy, University of Maryland, College Park
2019 Postdoctoral Scholar – Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington, Seattle
Advisor: John Tuthill, Ph.D.
- Fall 2018 Graduate Teaching Assistant – Development and Physiology, CWRU
- Fall 2017 Graduate Teaching Assistant – Introduction to Entomology, CWRU
- Fall 2016 Graduate Teaching Assistant – Genes, Ecology, and Evolution, CWRU
- Spring 2016 Graduate Teaching Assistant – Cells and Proteins, CWRU
- Fall 2015 Graduate Teaching Assistant – Introduction to Entomology, CWRU
- 2012–2013 English Teacher – Trinity School Academy, Cheonan, South Korea
- 2011–2012 English Teacher – Ban Nonkum Mittrapab School, Sikhiu, Thailand
Funded Research Proposals
- 2017 Chace & Josey Anderson private donation, “Into the Field Australia: Women Scientists Exploring Insects of the Continent.” PI-Sydney K. Brannoch, CMNH; PI-Nicole L. Gunter, CMNH ($10,000)
- 2017 Hitachi TM3030 ESEM equipment loan proposal 6 month loan
- 2016 CWRU Phi Beta Kappa Research Grant ($500)
- 2016 SysEB Student Research Travel Award Program ($2,000)
- 2016 NSF East Asia Pacific Summer Institute (EAPSI), Australia ($5,400)
- 2015 Eva L. Pancoast Memorial Fellowship ($2,115)
Honors & Awards
- 2019 Ted Cohn Award for Excellence as a Young Professional Orthopterist, The Orthopterists’ Society ($2,500)
- 2017 Cleveland Museum of Natural History Outstanding Student Award, CMNH
- 2015 Women in Science and Engineering Roundtable Outreach Grant, CWRU ($200)
- 2015 Honorable Mention, National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- 2014 Volunteer Appreciation Award, CMNH
- 2013 Choose Ohio First Scholarship, Cuyahoga Community College ($3,215)
Museum & Collections Research
- 2017 The State Museum of Natural History Karlsruhe (SMNK), Karlsruhe, Germany; September
- 2017 The Palatinate Museum of Natural History, Bad Dürkheim, Germany; September
- 2017 Academy of the Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (ANSP), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; June
- 2016 Natural History Museum (NHM), London, England; May
- 2016 Muséum national d’Histoire naturelle (MNHN), Paris, France; May
- 2016 Alaska Museum of the North, Fairbanks, Alaska; March
- 2015 Naturhistorisches Museum (NHMW), Vienna, Austria; October
- 2018 Gabon, Africa. 14–24 February.
- 2018 Lamington NP, Springbrook NP, Daintree, Kuranda, Australia. 5–21 January.
- 2017 Talaroo, Cairns, & Daintree Rainforest, Australia. 13 February–1 March.
- 2016 Daintree Rainforest & Cairns, Queensland, Australia. 10–24 June; 15–18 July.
- 2015 Cát Tiên, Tà Cú, & Phú Quốc, Vietnam. 7–23 May.
Places Traveled for Research
Purple Landmarks = Conferences
Orange Landmarks = Museum Work
Yellow Landmarks = Lab Work
Green Landmarks = Field Work
Blue Landmarks = Future (funded) Field Work